NIDA acknowledges the Traditional Owners and Custodians of the lands on which we learn and tell stories, the Bidjigal, Gadigal, Dharawal and Dharug peoples, and we pay our respects to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Elders past and present.


Study Abroad

Do you want to study at NIDA Sydney for a semester?

NIDA offers international students access to its undergraduate courses in Acting, Technical Theatre and Stage Management, and Costume, through the NIDA Study Abroad Program. Study Abroad is a fee-based option for international university students studying a related course to join NIDA’s full-time courses for one semester.

Study Abroad students have the opportunity to develop existing knowledge or gain new skills. Also subject to the agreement of their home institution, students can transfer credits towards their studies at home.

Study Abroad (Undergraduate) – 1 Semester: CRICOS 078252B
Study Abroad (Undergraduate) – Full Year: CRICOS 078253A

Have a question?
For any queries regarding the NIDA Study Abroad program contact us at

Application Process & FAQs

1) Select the course you would like to join

Information on the undergraduate courses currently available to Study Abroad applicants is available on the following links:

Please note that there are only places available for Study Abroad students in the first year of the Acting course.

Please note there are only places available for Study Abroad students in the first or second year of these courses.

2) Complete the application form

  • Complete the Application Form.
  • Attach your Audition Video in Section 5 as requested in the form. (This applies to the BFA Acting Course)
  • Attach your Academic Transcript in Section 5. (This applies to all applicants)
  • Attach an up-to-date Portfolio that showcases your work. (This applies to all other BFA Courses)
  • Supply a letter from your home institution approving your application as a Study Abroad student at NIDA.

Study Abroad Application Form (PDF 382KB)


  • Submit your application as soon as possible in order to allow time for processing of your application and for you to obtain a student visa for Australia.
  • Please allow up to two weeks for the assessment process to take place. The Heads of Department and senior staff will assess your application, and you will complete an interview depending on the course.
  • It is a requirement of NIDA that international students have a satisfactory level of English language proficiency. NIDA requires that students have an English language proficiency equivalent to an overall band score of 7.0 for courses other than Acting, and 8.0 IELTS for the Acting course.

For testing centres in your country see IELTS.

Acting applicants

Your application, showreel and academic record will be assessed by the Head of Acting and senior staff of the Acting department.

Other course applicants

Applicants for courses other than Acting will be required to participate in an interview with the relevant Head of Department. If you are not already in Sydney, the interview will take place online.

For more information on interview and showreel preparation, please contact

Successful Applicants

If your application is successful and there are places available on the course you have selected, you will receive a letter of offer of a place in the subjects for the semester/s for which you have applied.

After you have accepted your place, you will be sent a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE), which you will need to apply for a student visa. You will also receive information on how to prepare for your course, as well as timetables and equipment/clothing/reading lists.

If you are applying from a country classified as Assessment Levels 2 – 4 on the Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection Student Visa Program, you will need considerably more time for visa processing and in some cases this could take up to six months.

As an international student you must ensure that you have the financial resources to cover the cost of living while in Australia. International students are not eligible for public transport concessions.

International students accepted into NIDA are responsible for all arrangements concerning entry into and residence in Australia. This includes visas and health insurance.

International students are required to demonstrate and/or declare to the Department of Immigration and Border Protection that they have genuine access to sufficient funds to be granted a Student visa. For more details see Study in Australia.

You must have acceptable health insurance cover for the period of your intended stay in Australia. You will be required to provide evidence that you have paid Overseas Student Health Cover for the period of your study before you are permitted to commence your course at NIDA. This is also a condition of your visa.

To meet this requirement, you should pay for overseas student health cover (OSHC) for yourself and any family members who will live with you in Australia. OSHC provides medical and hospital insurance. For information on OSHC (including details of OSHC providers) please refer to the Study in Australia website.

Students studying in Australia must satisfy the health requirements specified in visa regulations.

Study Abroad students do not receive a NIDA award but their home institution may grant credit towards the degree in which students are enrolled at their home institution.

NIDA provides the Study Abroad student with a letter recording their results for the semester/s studied at NIDA. The Study Abroad student’s home university must determine how to credit this in the context of the course being studied at the home institution.

Semester 1: 30 Jan 2023 – 26 June 2023
Semester 2: 17 July 2023 – 15 December 2023

Tuition fees are payable to NIDA and must be paid in full prior to commencing the course for Study Abroad students enrolling for one semester. Study Abroad students enrolling for a full year must pay their tuition fees before the start of each semester. Tuition fees are paid by electronic funds transfer to NIDA. Credit card payment is not accepted.

Please also refer to:

Not sure where to stay?

NIDA doesn’t offer on-campus housing, but there are many options for students ranging from UNSW residential housing, to share-houses and solo renting.