Are you a playwright with a great idea ready for commissioning and development?
We are seeking Expressions of Interest (EOIs) from playwrights to create original, compelling works for potential production in either our 2025 or 2026 production seasons. We are not seeking plays that have already been written.
Two commissions are available. Each commission will involve subsequent creative development periods. NIDA productions are usually presented in our five theatres ranging from 80-700 seats – but ideas for other environments are welcome – and usually with casts of between 3 and 12.
The productions are helmed by professional directors, created under professional conditions, and are a key part of our education and training. They showcase the many talents of our students, who come from diverse backgrounds.
We invite playwrights, both emerging and established, to submit their EOIs for consideration. We are particularly interested in underrepresented voices, works that engage with contemporary societal concerns, works that provide students across disciplines with stimulating challenges, and works that employ inventive narrative or theatrical forms, including works that engage with technology. Mostly, we are interested in works that will make for compelling connections between artists and audiences.
- The selected playwrights will receive a standard, AWG commissioning fee.
- There will be one or two creative development periods, under professional conditions.
- Collaboration with NIDA’s artistic team.
- Potential production.
Interested playwrights should submit the following materials:
- A brief artistic statement (up to 300 words) introducing yourself and outlining your interest in this opportunity.
- A brief overview of your proposed play – premise, subject, notional cast requirements, etc. You may submit more than one idea. Adaptations from other forms are OK.
- A current CV highlighting your experience in playwriting.
EOIs should only be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Monday 30 October 2023.