NIDA’s response to COVID-19
Update: 26 March 2021
In line with the continued easing of COVID-19 restrictions by the NSW Government NIDA staff, students and visitors are no longer required to wear a face mask when entering or moving around the NIDA Kensington facilities. However masks remain mandatory when seated inside a theatre or situations where physical distancing cannot be maintained.
Contact tracing procedures remain in place and all visitors must check-in using the Service NSW QR code on arrival.
Update: 4 January 2021
NIDA continues to closely monitor NSW Health guidelines and remains open with planned activities proceeding in line with public health order requirements.
The health and safety of everyone on our site is our greatest priority.
Students, staff and visitors who have recently attended any identified case locations must not visit the NIDA Kensington campus as per NSW Health advice.
People aged 12 and over are required to wear a face mask when entering and moving around the public areas of the building. Please bring your own mask. All visitors must check-in using the Service NSW QR code on arrival.
Update: 12 October 2020
NIDA Theatres is registered as a COVID Safe business with the NSW Government. To ensure a safe and comfortable environment for everyone, we’ve made some changes to the way we operate our performance venues. This includes the introduction of a number of new measures including:
- reduced venue capacities (50%) and physically-distanced theatre seating (a minimum of two empty seats between groups)
- regular cleaning of high-traffic and high-touch areas with hospital-grade disinfectant
- hand sanitiser stations in all paths of travel, frequently accessed areas and near bathroom facilities
- COVID-19 safety training for all operational, frontline and contract staff, as well as on-site COVID-19 Safe Hygiene Marshals monitoring social distancing and contact tracing.
We are closely following all NSW Government health guidelines and will continue to update our procedures as necessary.
Update: 27 July 2020
NIDA is registered as a COVID Safe business with the NSW Government and is committed to providing a safe environment for our community of students, staff and visitors.
By entering any of NIDA's premises you agree:
- you are feeling well and not experiencing any cold or flu-like symptoms
- to register your details and have your temperature scanned at reception
- to observe hygiene and physical distancing requirements
- to wear a face mask when in public areas of the building or when 1.5m physical distance cannot be maintained
- you are not a close contact of anyone who has tested positive for COVID-19 or who has been required to quarantine in the past 14 days
- you have not been in contact with anyone who has returned from overseas or an identified hotspot in the last 14 days
- you have not visited an identified hotspot and have been required to isolate in the last 14 days.
If you feel unwell no matter how mild, please do not come to NIDA. Thank you for your cooperation in keeping everyone safe.
Update: 10 July 2020
NIDA Open offered a reduced program of face-to-face winter holiday short courses at NIDA Kensington from 6 July.
Vocational Diploma students return to face-to-face classes from 13 July for Term 3.
BFA and MFA students return to face-to-face classes from 20 July for Term 3.
Update: 14 April 2020
Update: 7 April 2020
Term 1 online teaching of the Vocational Diploma program has been completed. VET students are now on an extended break, with teaching planned to resume from Monday 13 July.
Update: 30 March 2020
Teaching of the BFA, MFA and Vocational Diploma programs has commenced online with classes scheduled as closely as possible to the usual timetable.
The mid-semester break remains at 10–26 April with online learning to resume for term two 27 April–3 July.
Face to face delivery of NIDA Open and NIDA Corporate short courses remain suspended until further notice, however details of online training options will be released soon.
Update: 25 March 2020
To our knowledge there are no confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the NIDA student and staff community at this time.
Update: 18 March 2020
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, NIDA is putting in place additional precautionary measures to ensure the health and safety of our community.
In this rapidly developing situation, our priorities are the health and wellbeing of our people and the continuity of high-quality learning for all our students. We have developed a plan to transition as much as practical of our courses to online delivery for the shorter term. This may result in a change to the order of course components, production seasons and planned holiday periods.
Update: 20 March–29 March 2020
- NIDA will temporarily suspend delivery of the Bachelor of Fine Arts and Master of Fine Arts programs.
- The Kensington campus will be closed to all higher education and vocational students.
- Staff will use this time to plan and test online course delivery for students.
- Vocational Diploma courses will continue with components delivered online.
Update: 30 March 2020
- Delivery of the Bachelor of Fine Arts and Master of Fine Arts program will recommence online.
For public program participants enrolled through NIDA Open and NIDA Corporate, there may also be adjustments to scheduled course delivery. Affected participants will be contacted directly with any changes.
NIDA Theatres has suspended public events and will be unavailable for hire until it is considered safe to do so.
In the meantime NIDA is operating with a reduced number of people on-site with additional cleaning and hygiene measures in place.
We continue to ensure that recommendations from government authorities are implemented and will communicate with the NIDA community as the situation evolves.
Thank you for your understanding during this challenging and unprecedented time.
For higher education and vocational programs:
- Higher education courses: Student Services 02 9697 7654 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vocational courses: 02 9697 7573 or email@example.com
- Student Council of NIDA (SCON): firstname.lastname@example.org
For public programs:
- NIDA Open 1300 450 417 or email@example.com
- NIDA Corporate 1300 650 357 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- NIDA Theatres 02 9697 7600 or email@example.com
For general enquiries: 02 9697 7600 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Work experience program
Update: 16 March 2020
Due to operational challenges encountered by COVID-19 our work experience program will now be offered later in 2020.